Emigrate to Spain

For  emigration to Spain a number of actions are needed. Below we explain: 


Registration in the central register of foreigners 

Are you planning to live permanently in Spain, then you need to register in the "Registro Central de Extranjeros".
This is done in the police station, which has an office for foreigners. Here you can find the "Certificado de Registro" applications.

Two types of subscriptions

There are two types of applications:
Certificado de Registro de ciudadano de la Unión
Certificado su derecho a residir the con caracter permanent

The first registration is  the registrar certificado straw, this is a temporary registration. After 5 years you must reapply.

The second entry is a permanent residence. This registration is approved as:

You have lived in Spani for the last 5 years
When you reach retirement age
If you are declared incapacitated
If you have worked and lived three years in succession in Spain or you´ve worked in another EU country, but kept living in Spain. 


Spanish residence permit


Again, you first have to go to the police "Registro Central de Extranjeros'.

What should you bring with you:

A completed application form EX-16 download by clicking here
Valid passport or identity card
Original and copy of your NIE
Copy of registration  which you can ask in the municipal registry, as recent as possible.

Along with these forms, go to the nearest Oficina de Extranjería Comisariá or Local, there you will get back the 790 form, which you have to fill in. With that formyou have to go to the nearest bank to pay the fee €10,-.

If this happened, back in line, now the ultimate work can begin. Two days later you can pick up your EU certificate.

Remember, everyone MUST come in person to pick it up, another person will not be accepted.

In Spain, the identification requirement.
A valid ID is an identity card, driving license or passport.

If you are resident in Spain you must also register your address with the consulate.

You can use a Spanish passport if you are resident. For this you should also contact the embassy or consulate.


Is your passport or ID card lost, stolen or expired, then go to the Embassy.
Lost or stolen you must first make a statement at the police station. Also, your registration of a Spanish community (empadronamiento) is required. 


Passports and identity 

Spent the winter in Spain in a healthy way or emigrating to Spain?

You're one of the many English who walks around with the idea to emigrate to Spain or to spent the winter there.
You have obviously a lot of questions about health care in Spain, and how they have settled there.
Health can be a stumbling block to an emigration to Spain, and especially if you're sick or in need for help.
Generally, health care in Spain is as good as in the UK.
In Spain, many different things are organized differently, and this is also true in health care.
So you have to get used to this system! 


We, as Casas Real, are pleased to advise you on the following points: 

1. Healthcare in Spain in general.
2. What to do in specific situations?
3. How can I insure and what are my rights?

In Spain, there is a clear distinction between the state health care (this is offered by the government) and private health care.
There are state hospitals and state nursing homes, state doctors, etc. There are also private hospitals, private nursing homes, private doctors, private dentists, etc. 

1. Healthcare in Spain in general.
The state health care:
If you reside in Spain and are registered in the city register (empadronamiento =) you are entitled to state health services offered by Social Security.
Then you are entitled to a GP in the GP post (= Centro Salud) in your hometown, you're appointed to a state hospital in your area.
Nursing in Spain also is covered under the Social Security.

The private healthcare, along with your health insurance, you always have a Spanish private health insurance.
You will then be entitled to a private doctor and in most cases you can go to a private hospital of your choice.
The big advantage of private health care is always that doctors speak your language and in private hospitals, you always have a interpreter.
A disadvantage is that your private insurance does not reimburse medication. For that you have to go to your Social Security.

Medical care in the state or private health care is the same level.
The organization of care may be different in the Spanish health insurance, less service oriented and less "bells and whistles'

Healthcare in Spain:

2. What to do in specific situations?
If you have decided to move to Spain it is important for the following steps:

Inform following authorities so that they are aware of your move:

  • The benefit or pension authority;
  • The health insurance company, actual date of moval;
  • The Board of Health (U.S.) or the National Health Service (UK) you will receive a Form 121. (Please note that you care for your family receives a Form 121!)
  • Sign of the population of the municipality where you live in Spain;
    Sign in ◦ Seguridad Social (by submitting Form 121);
  • Ask your healthcare for a SIP card, which you can do at the local Centro Salud;
  • Connect any private health insurance.
  • If you do not benefit from a pension from the UK, you do not inform authorities (although it is important to give  your new address to the pension fund).

If you are permanently residing in Spain:

When you go to live permanently in Spain, you claim to benefits under the Social Security in Spain.
Possibly you can seek protection in a Spanish private medical insurance.
If you do not benefit or pension from the Netherlands or Belgium, the premiums for the Spanish fund deducted from your salary Spanish (if you are in Spain) or Spanish benefit.

3. How can I insure myself and what are my rights?

If you are unhappy with the Spanish national health services, please consider a private health insurance.

Realize that:
If you are from the UK, Netherlands or Belgium, and benefit a pension, you can enjoy the premium for the Spanish private insurance but be aware that it might also be deducted from your UK, Dutch or Belgian pension or retirement pay.
Then you are double insured.

At present there are ongoing lawsuits against the UK, Dutch and Belgian government to stop this because this is a legal inequality.
Of course, the closing of a private health insurance in Spain has many advantages:
You can always contact a doctor who speaks your language or have an interpreter.
In general medical care in both systems are similar, but the service you receive as a patient in the private health care is always much better than in state care.
In Spain you can choose from many private health insurers. Many insurers offer a policy specifically designed for foreigners.
Read the terms carefully, because you do not always qualify for full benefits.
All policy conditions can be viewed via the website of the insurer.
Unfortunately, in many cases only available in Spanish and the amount of text does not make it any easier.

When choosing a health insurer you have to consider several things:

Does your insurer want to settle directly with your doctor or hospital?
Do you want total freedom in the choice of hospital or doctor?
Do you want waiting time before treatment or not?